A palace in Asturias looking at Galicia for more than 500 years
The Palace of El Pividal or Miranda is located in Abres, on the left bank of the River Eo, looking towards its source. Abres is a village and parish of the Council of Vegadeo (Asturias). The palace stands on a hill overlooking the Eo, the natural border between Asturias and Galicia. It is situated in the centre of a well cared private park all surrounded by a stone wall.
It is also known as Castillo de Abres. The first reference to its origin is in relation to the robust tower that stands out from the whole property. Dating back to 1495, Christopher Columbus had barely arrived in the Americas. A century later, in 1597, he joined the lineage of the Miranda family.
It is a sober complex that maintains the characteristic appearance of the Galician pazos. But its uniqueness comes from the fact that all the ornamental baroque expression is situated on the axis of the entrance door. And it is crowned by a pediment on which the coat of arms of the Miranda, Osorio, Castrillón and Moscoso families can be found. And also the year in which this body is attached to the tower, 1674. Almost three hundred years had passed.
The Palace appears in various publications: Rural Palaces of Asturias – Interiors of a legacy of coats of arms and lineages – Volume I. Also Asturian Manor Architecture – Volume 2.
In 2003 it was acquired by its present owners who have carried out an important rehabilitation work, both of the house and the different buildings that accompany it, and of the splendid park that surrounds it. Today it is a magnificent property ready to continue being an impressive home. Or become an excellent and unique tourist business under the concept decided by its new owners.
The course of the history of this palace runs parallel to that of the Northern Way of Saint James: “After Castropol -the last town in Asturias- the Way enters Galicia by crossing the Cantabrian Sea through the beautiful estuary of Ribadeo. Some pilgrims chose to go along it, saving the river Eo, and then crossing it over the bridge of Santiago de Abres“. What has become known as the Historic Route of the Northern Way.
The Palace of Miranda is registered in the Historical and Cultural Heritage of Asturias, within its Department of Education and Culture.